Wednesday, December 31, 2008

"Hinks"

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE !!
I didn't know where to start for this past year has been chock full of BIG events. So I thought I would share a little personal story to end the year. President Gordon B. Hinckley was Laura and my most favorite Prophet. Maybe it was the way he said "Wonnderful ", or the way he challenged all of us to read and be excited about the BOM. Maybe it was the way he waved his cane to the people who loved him. I just wanted to pick him up and put him in my pocket. Whatever it was... President Hinckley made us all want to "Stand a Little Taller". We ...like most LDS members, felt the bittersweet sadness in our hearts when he passed on from this earth life. We were joyous for him to be reunited with his sweetheart, but how he is missed. The day of his funeral, it twas about 5 am and I had walked to the Provo Temple. I was sitting by the fountains and looking up at the gracefully waving Flag at half mass. The gentle falling of snowflakes had just begun, and I was missing my guy. Lolo called him...respectfully...".Hinks". I ever so softly heard my name...Kathy.... I perked up, sat alittle taller, I heard it again..Kathy....In my dramatic mind I was thinking " this is it... my personal inspiration" I stood up," Hinks is that you", cocking my head and waiting for some profound instructions on what to do. I heard my name again, this time there seemed to be a question mark at the end of Kathy. I turned and looked around...was anyone else hearing this, of course not, only the temple workers arrive that early. My bubble sorta popped when I heard my little neighbor calling out my name." Kathy, do you have on those gripper shoes"? I just had to giggle as I helped her up the slippery slope. Next big event. Laura and I going thru the temple together, as she was preparing for her Full-time LDS mission in Rochester New York.
I am proud to say I am following the footsteps of my great-great-grandmother, Martha Cragun , one of Utah's first children in the Salt lake Valley. She was driven to do as much temple work as she could. Martha was able to do many names for President Woodruff. I took that as a challenge to be like her. To have a desire to do the work. To date.. I have taken out endowments for 103 people. I have gone thru for women dating back to 1537 and some really cool Indian names, like Eating Bull, Tangled Hair, and Woman with pipe. I have a new OCD, and I love it. But my greatest day was another bittersweet moment. My daughter Laura packing her bags and walking thru the doors of the MTC. She was so calm, so positive, so ready, and possibly the most perfect daughter ever. We often thought 18 months... that's nothing, that's 18 fast Sunday's, it will fly by. I have never seen her braver. There was no time for tears and fond farewells. She had a mission to do, and by golly, "let's get this show on the road." You probably already know she was asked to give the closing prayer in front of 500 people. I was shaking in my boots, I just wanted to hold her, and love her up ( Debbie Kellogg saying), and hear her voice for 12 more hours. Okay... just 5 more hours, one hour, 15 minutes, please can I keep her? However, Laura is a warrior and a valiant missionary and she needed to go and to serve. How my heart is full, how my tears flow down my cheeks when I think of what she is doing in the service of our Lord. Laura is doing amazing work as a missionary. Her letters are inspiring, full of miracles and love. My best gift in this world is Laura, I could be living in a van down by the river and never feel lonely or in despair or poor. Laura is my miracle and the pounding of my heart is from her doing what is right, and being a worthy daughter of God to make this life decision. October 2009 will not come fast enough. But there is work to do and time is really quite short. I only wish I could film her every move and replay it day after day and beam with pride. My pledge to her and "Hinks" is to make both of them proud of me and for me to do my best at all times and " Stand a little Taller"
I pray for a "Wonnderful" year for each of you. I love you all, I appreciate you all. My heart of full of gratitude to our Savior Jesus Christ and the Atonement. Our Stake Presidency sent out a card this year and it states" And his name shall be called" Almighty...Beloved, Christ the Lord, Creator, Deliver, The Good Shepard, Eternal Father, Messiah...Mighty God...Prince of Peace, Son of God.... True and Living God.... and ending with Wonderful. May we all remember Jesus is the reason for this season. May we be happy...and grateful for all we have. Let's all try to make it a banner year, to be happy, to serve, and Stand a little Taller.
I shall write next year and in the in between time..."Stay on the Right side of the Light side"
and find comfort in knowing you are of great worth to our Heavenly Father and you are loved. Be safe, healthy and like our new Prophet... President Monson says " Enjoy the Journey"
Love and hugs to you, a Missionary mom, Kathy.

No comments: