Saturday, January 31, 2009

One on One with the big Boys

Okay.... its not about Lolo, but in your imagination picture this. Big, grand, glassy Huntsman Hospital office building. Me sitting on a wooden chair , Executive director Ray sitting on a wooden chair and about 2 feet of wood between us. Kinda cozy, you could say, but his eyes were boring through me like arrows. Yikes !!. In my mind I am thinking" remember what Jeff said, rub the mini spoon lolo sent, look into his pupils, do not flinch. But the real Kathy wanted to cry and drag myself all over his office being dramatic,occasionally stumbling and falling flat on my face, looking for sympathy. Nope.. Papa said" stiff upper lip, keep chin up and keep your back bone strong, and DONT'T cry" Easy for you to say Papa, I inherited my emotions from you. However, I dug deep, really deep and confronted Ray with my concerns, I spoke educated, calmly, and did not flinch. When he said, as he held out his hand as if to say good-bye, thanks for coming. My strength kicked in like a massive bull. Oh...Ray... I have a couple more things I would l like to discuss." Hah..caught him off guard, he sits back down. " please continue? and continue I did. Like a "bat our of Hell" (Meatloaft song from 25 years ago, but I love the saying) I continued on professionally ( thanks Dr. Hunsaker for making me do all the hard stuff, I actually did learn from those glory days of me taking care of the office wing nuts)I talked calmly and to the point. He pulled out a legal pad and took notes. But when all was said and I was drained, he pulls out the executive director power and says" I get back with you in a week."
He tries to use the insurance card, and I said" Oh.. Ray, I failed to mention I did billing medical insurance for 7 years and the contracts/co-pays can be waived, So I have an understanding of medical/insurance contracts. So who knows what will happen, nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnwwwwwww

No comments: