Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving

HAPPY THANKSGIVING too all my friends and family. What a wonderful time of year, leaves are falling all around us. A bit of chill in the air and snow on the mountain tops, families meet together to show gratitude and eat great foods, and hopeful memories abound in-between bites of pumpkin pie. Well, this year was different year. Laura 3,000 miles away sharing memories and learning of her new friends past Thanksgiving day memories. I was invited to dear friend Jill's family The Minor's. I wasn't much in the mood until I was walking up the steps, then the smells of thanksgiving dinner snapped me back to thanksgivings of old. We had such a lovely day, and enjoyed a lovely meal. It's kinda of weird not being "home" shooting the breeze with the siblings I used to fight with. I missed my papa putting his hands on my mama Sue's shoulders and saying "well Mom, I guess well keep you another year" This the the reason we write books about our own history and family stories and traditions. Because...someday when you least expect it, YOU could be alone too. The generosity of the Minor Family was overwhelming, I was treated like a guest, and didn't have to life a finger. I was able to indulge in adult conversation and enjoy a beautiful dinner. I felt spoiled and I want them to know how much I appreciate their kindness and opening their house to me. They even sent me home with some "Silver Soft" , a product which O'dell Minor has invented and patented. It helps scrapes, excema, abrasions, infections etc. Our Laura has had a flare up of excema and has been put on those darn predisone tablets to get control of this skin problem. So if this works for her, Look out Rochester, she will not only being out walking the streets to share the Gospel, she will also put a plug in for "Silver Soft" once a sales man, always a salesman. I am grateful for the generosity of our friends here in Provo and the friends 3,000 away.
Thanksgiving also gives us a chance to reflect on all of the blessings we have in our lives.
We have families, the Gospel of Jesus Christ, we have the knowledge of eternal families. Now we just need to live worthily to get all these blessings. I'm excited. Yesterday while at the Provo Temple, a temple worker said" Hi Kathy, how are you"? I could not place her, but she seemed to know me so well. I asked someone with better eyesight what her name was.... it was Sue McGivin, she rented me an apt. when I was 24 and going to BYU. Her memory is sharp, and it reminded me to be grateful for her and the deals she gave me while I was a student. In every step we take there is a blessing, we just need to recognize them and then be grateful for them, and then thank our Heavenly Father for all we have. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving day and got plenty of hugs. I thank those of you who opened your doors to some who are alone, cuz I was one of those this year. I thank the people/members in Rochester New York who opened their house to my daughter. I thank President Hemmingway and his dear Wife who keep a watchful eye out on Laura and see her needs and give her blessings. I especially thank my loving , silly, goofy,family for all the material they have given me so I can present a thanksgiving story at the drop of a hat. And also for the Love that is in my family. I get on bended knee and thank Heavenly Father for the two wonderful parents I have been blessed to have. There guidance, love, support,example, teachings,and sacrifices they made in my behalf are too many to mention. My last time I was doing "sealing Proxy", our Sealer said, "Next time you see your parents, thank-them for being born in the covnent, that is one of the greatest gifts of all" So I made sure my parents knew that. I am thank-ful for all of you, Laura's friends and my friends who write often, and check in with me often to make sure I am okay. I got a little surprise this week, when I got the missionary print out I noticed some gifts that Laura recieved for Laura's missionary fund. Thank-you to everyone who has helped put "Our" missionary thru. Especially in these hard times, people still know the importance of the missionary service and I am thank-ful for all of you. Take care and God Bless, and as always
" Stay on the Right Side of the Bright Side" Love to you all, a missionary mom, Kathy

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Kathy,
Thanks for keeping us up to date on LoLo and what is going on in your life. It is so uplifting to get on and read about how Heavenly Father is working in your life, it inspires me to know how He loves each of us. I love you and wish that I lived out there in Provo so I could go to the temple with you!! Keep it up... your an inspiration to us all.