Saturday, June 27, 2009

Laura's Journal

........It's starts like this...." oh Mom, I can't wait to read you my journal" Okay, Lolo, you know my hormones are out of whack, then she says" we had a personal tour of the Sacred Grove by the grounds keeper, Bob Parrot, Oh... if those sacred trees could talk". Stop smalls your're killing me. I love the experiences she shares with me, and I can't wait to listen to Her read her journal. All I can say about that is "PRICELESS".
Seriously folks, I almost can't talk. Through the miles... and on a computer printing out black words, I could feel her spirit. Amazing !!!
Since I am almost speechless I will write in her words a fun experience that happened at Zone conference.
" After spilling my water bottle everywhere, nearly destroying everything we ( all site sisters) were sitting at lunch by Elder Ryan and Despain I walked to Elder Ryan and said "Thanks for being the testosterone at the table" and he said straight faced, " Oh, I thought you had that covered". Everyone busted up laughing, then he said" Burns... you know you were the only one I could say that too" So then, I'm walking towards the bathroom and Elder Despain is too and I was like" well...apparently I have a lot of testosterone.so that means I can go to the men's room too" I was pretending to follow him into the men's room, and I ran smack dab into President Hemmingway as he walked out. The place erupted in fits of laughter. As embarrassed as I was, I knew it was a great story and memory". Having the distinct honor of being the Mother of Laura, I was so happy that her easy going personality had shone thru and the other Elders and Sisters were able to be themselves while serving the Lord. It also reminded me of a story when I was her age at Hancock Collage and I walked into the men's locker room (a double dare) and pretended to be one of the guys. I stayed in there until the Coach walked by. So I can't say "What ever possessed that child to do such a silly thing"
Serving in Palmyra for the tail end of her mission, is like icing on the cake. Can you imagine how it must feel to stand where Joseph Smith received revelation and restored the true Gospel of Jesus Christ? Can't go there.... this is my little red haired wonder, my baby goat, my magnificent daughter, who put all things in her life aside to do missionary work. The daily gem last week says, " Missionary work is the greatest, most powerful service one can do"
We can all be missionaries, where ever we might live. We must stand as a witness of God at all times, in all things and in all places" by our example we can bring others into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. My favorite song these days...besides "Halo" is the primary song " Sent his Son", in it's simplicity, it states how we should be living our lives .... Like His Son. It is Onedurful ( as Pres. Hinckley would say). Next time you have a moment listen to the words and imagine how hard it was for our Heavenly Father to send his beloved Son to earth and die for our sins, so we could ALL return back to live eternally with him. The Atonement of Jesus Christ was done for us and every day we need to show gratitude and thankfulness to our Lord of Lord and King of Kings. How blessed we are to be here on earth, learning, growing, perseverance thru trials and finding Joy in the Journey ( Pres. Monson)." Some days are harder than others, every life has peaks and shadows and times when it seems that the bird don't sing and bells don't ring. Yet in spite of the discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser, and happier as a result" ( Joseph b. Wirthern)
How proud I am of my little Lolo for her sacrifices and hard work. I am truly a blessed Mother in Zion.
I was also blessed to have Holiday Bryn stop by this week. Have I mentioned how cheerful and wonderful she is? I learned something new... Holiday Bryn's favorite holiday is the 4 th of July.
The joy Bryn brings me is grand, and she calls me Mama Kathy. I'm lovin it !!
Thank you for your letters to Laura, you are all so wonderful to take the time to send her a letter, it is so appreciated and treasured. Have a happy 4 th of July!!
As always....Stay on the Right Side of the Light Side.
Love a Missionary Mom, Kathy
PS. if you don't have the words to "He sent His Son" I will print next time.

2 comments:

Danny and Shalayne said...

Kathy...how are you?! I miss seeing you! You should come to family dinner again! Thanks for posting Laura's letters and thoughts. She sounds like she is doing amazing and loving it. What a wonderful experience!!!

kathycburns said...

Hi Rambo, I would love to come again,It was awesome to see you and your family. I am just waiting for my calcium levels to even out. I am slowly and learning alot of patience with this whole ordeal. Lolo is doing great and had some pretty amazing stories. She comes home in Oct. getting close. yayyy !! how is little Ada doing? She is so pretty and probably in a whole new set of clothes, babies grow so fast. love ya.